CAD & GIS Interoperability
Easier and more versatile than 3D scanning
More precise and productive than computer-assisted 3D modeling
- Traditional 3D modeling techniques would involve prohibitive cost and time to match the geometric precision of 3D models produced bySmart3DCapture®.
- Smart3DCapture® directly outputs a realistic photo-textured 3D model, thereby eliminating the tedious task of mapping texture to 3D geometry.
Compared to 3D scanning, Smart3DCapture® requires a simple camera for acquisition instead of an expensive special device. This brings several huge benefits:
- A camera can be used on the field by a non-expert operator, even under difficult/uncontrolled conditions: without a tripod, without respecting a rigid distance range, under adverse weather conditions, …
- Contrarily to most 3D scanners, a camera provides high resolution color information, which Smart3DCapture® automatically maps to the reconstructed geometry, to directly produce a realistic photo-textured 3D model.
- Because acquisition is not tied to the availability of some special device in some particular place,Smart3DCapture® is much more generalizable and ubiquitous than 3D scanning.
- In contrast with a 3D scanner, Smart3DCapture® allows to reconstruct subjects of various scales, ranging from centimeters to kilometers, photographed from the ground or from the air. There is no limit in the precision of the resulting 3D model, other than the resolution of the input photographs.Besides, Smart3DCapture® can not only produce a dense point cloud that has to be processed/analyzed with some dedicated software, but also a textured 3D triangular mesh, much more amenable to display, editing or 3D printing.
Acute3D develops and sells Smart3DCapture®, a software solution allowing to produce high resolution 3D models from simple photographs, without any human intervention.
The principle of Smart3DCapture® is to analyze several photographs of a static subject, taken from different viewpoints, and to automatically detect pixels corresponding to a same physical point. From many such correspondences, relative orientations of photos and accurate 3D shape of the scene can be inferred.
Smart3DCapture® solves this problem with cutting edge photogrammetry, computer vision and computational geometry algorithms fulfilling industrial-quality requirements in terms of precision, scalability, efficiency, usage, robustness and interoperability.
Turn photos into 3D models automatically with Smart3DCapture®.
- Smart3DCapture® exploits the power of general purpose computation on graphics processing units (GPGPU), yielding 50-times faster processing for some operations (image interpolation, rasterization, z-buffering).
- Smart3DCapture® uses multi-core computing to speed up some CPU-intensive parts of the algorithms.
- Smart3DCapture® can process 7 to 11 gigapixels per day and per Smart3DCapture Engine on average, depending on the hardware configuration.
- You can dramatically reduce processing time with grid computing, simply by running multiple Smart3DCapture engines on several computers, and associate them to a same job queue.
Example: for vertical + 4-oblique aerial datasets with a ground resolution of 10-15 cm and a typical overlap, we have observed an average production rate of 16-24 km² per day on a cluster of 4 Smart3DCapture Engines..
Why choose Smart3DCapture®
Smart3DCapture® is available:
Free Viewer & Net publishing
- Smart3DCapture® includes Smart3DCapture® Viewer, a free downloadable lightweight 3D visualization application working locally or online, under Windows or Mac OS X.
- Smart3DCapture® Viewer is optimized for Smart3DCapture’s native S3C format, which handles level-of-detail, paging and streaming, thus allowing visualization of terabytes of 3D data with a smooth frame rate.
- You can publish 3D models in S3C format on a standard web server or on an online file storage web service / content delivery network such as Amazon S3/CloudFront, for remote visualization with Smart3DCapture® Viewer.
- Smart3DCapture® Viewer integrates 3D measurement tools: 3D position in any spatial reference system, 3D distance and height difference.
To test these features now, download Smart3DCapture® Viewer and navigate our online 3D demos.
As a standalone software, in several editions: Smart3DCapture® Free, Smart3DCapture® Basic, Smart3DCapture® Advanced, Smart3DCapture® Expert andSmart3DCapture® Ultimate.
As a software component, which can be integrated by 3D software vendors into their products, or deployed on industrial 3D production lines.